Long-distance relationships, there are so many questions to consider. How are we going to do this? Are we going to see each other, often? Will there be frequent communication? How do we make this work? It can be quite overwhelming, but worthwhile at the same time. Here are 5 Tips to a successful long distance relationships.
- Check-ins. Ensure to talk at least once a day, whether its text, a call or video. Make some point of contact, every single day.
- Effective communication. Be kind to each other and thinking about the tone of voice your using when approaching one another, A Asian woman said this about her African American husband. “We can be upset and disagree, but there’s a way to communicate your discontent with someone. I love him too much to disrespect him. That’s my soulmate, that’s my partner.”
- Shock and awe. Still celebrate birthdays; whether apart or not, still celebrate your anniversary.
- Maintaining your independence. Asian Wife “Sure, I have my moments where I miss him a lot, but I’ve always been independent and also focused on achieving what my personal and professional goals. So that takes up a lot of my time, as well.”
- Be prepared. If you’re not prepared to do a little work or sometimes go the extra mile, it’s not for you, But give it a try